Thursday, September 18, 2008

I thought unemployment was up!

I put a job ad up on Craigslist nearly a week ago. I figured with unemployment on the rise, we'd have a line of candidates waiting out the door. Number of interviews I've ran so far? ONE.

What gives?

In the posting, I put some very simple instructions to obtain an interview. The procedure I've used in the past when hiring is to collect resumes, review them, and call those that seem qualified. This time, I did things a little differently. The instructions are to send in the resume ... and followup with a phone call. I wanted to have the applicants demonstrate some genuine interest and the ability to follow directions.

So far, fifteen resumes have come in, only one called to followup.

Maybe Craigslist doesn't get as much exposure? Maybe people are intimidated to call in?

Strange.

1 comment:

Brandon Weber said...

I think your system is great. You may have fewer calls and interviews, but the ones that aren't calling you probably would've weeded out and wasted your time on. Or worse, they wouldn't be.